The Solution to Blue Light:
What’s the Best Defense Against Digital Eye Strain
In this modern era, it’s a rare moment when we aren’t looking at a screen. Between working on computers, texting, watching TV, and even using the GPS on our phones while driving, we have a near-constant exposure to blue light.
But, what is blue light? We’ve heard so much about how dangerous it is, so how can we protect ourselves from it?
What is Blue Light?
Blue light is an ever-present part of the light spectrum we see on a daily basis. When the sun shines, it emits many different colors of light, which to the naked eye tend to just look “bright.” Because blue light has shorter wavelengths than other color frequencies, our eyes are more sensitive to it.
Blue light isn’t always harmful, however. For example, since our internal systems associate blue light with daylight, blue light regulates our healthy sleep cycle. But that sleep cycle is disrupted when we’re exposed to blue light throughout the day and into the night.
Modern backlit screens — like those found on our phones, TVs and computers — emit high levels of blue light frequencies, straining our eyes. Overall, blue light isn’t harmful the same way that UV rays are for our eyes, however, our eyes are more affected by blue light because of the amount that is emitted at one time from screens.
What Happens After Blue Light Exposure?
When our eyes are exposed to too much blue light, a condition called computer vision or digital eye strain occurs. Symptoms can include:
- Blurred vision
- Trouble sleeping
- Eye fatigue and discomfort
- Red, dry, or itchy eyes
- Neck, shoulder, and back pain
There can be serious, long-term problems caused by digital eye strain as well, such as macular degeneration and other vision-threatening eye diseases.
How Can I Prevent Digital Eye Strain?
While the most obvious way to avoid computer vision would be to stop using screens, that’s not really possible in our modern era. A few ways to minimize digital eye strain are:
- Make sure you blink enough throughout the day. This may seem obvious, but staring at technology causes people to blink less, which can dry out the eye. Blinking increases moisture in the eye and reduces eye strain.
- Use the 20/20/20 rule: every 20 minutes, look away from your screen and focus on something at least 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. This reduces the strain on your eyes and allows them to focus at a further distance.
- Adjust your computer settings. Many times, fonts that are too small and screens that are too bright can cause eye strain. Fix these problems by increasing the size of the fonts when reading and adjust the brightness to decrease glare.
- Invest in blue light blocking glasses. These glasses help block out the blue light and reduce glare, effectively alleviating many side effects of digital eye strain.
Protect Your Eyes with Blue Light Glasses
Blue light blocking glasses are specially designed with lenses that block out the high-energy spectrum of visible light, but don’t make anything appear darker or obscure vision; think of them as sunglasses to protect against light you can’t see. To ensure that you get the most out of your blue light glasses, wearing them at night — when artificial blue light is at its brightest — is the best way to protect your eyes.
At Standard Optical, you can get the highest level of protection from blue light with our new BluDEFENSE blue light blocking glasses. Specially designed to protect against digital eye strain, BluDEFENSE can help protect your eyes from the harmful effects of too much screen time. Schedule your appointment with Standard Optical, and never worry about digital eye strain again.
Standard Optical can put your individual, customized prescription lens into nearly any frame for ideal performance sunglasses.
What People Say About Us
We use Standard Optical to make sure our team has the eyewear they need to see on the job. They do a great job of being attentive and accommodating to all our employees who go to them for prescription safety eyewear.
Fantastic place that I would recommend to anyone that needs eye care. The staff is respectful and responsive. I've never had to wait for my appointment at Standard Optical.
- Dry Eye Treatment
- Special Offers
- About Us